Many patients interested in using Invisalign® to straighten their teeth may wonder, “Does Invisalign work?” The short answer is that Invisalign can resolve most of the same misalignment issues as traditional braces as long as patients follow through with their treatment plan. As an Invisalign Premier Provider, Smile360 in Austin, TX, has extensive experience overseeing patients’ Invisalign treatment and ensuring it is as effective as possible. Dr. Vincent Ip and his staff can maximize the benefits of Invisalign so that your smile is straightened out in no time.
Yes, Invisalign Does Work!
How Does Invisalign Work?
Made from a thermoplastic material, the clear plastic aligners used for Invisalign closely resemble teeth whitening trays. Each series of aligners is customized to the patient's smile so that we can guide their teeth as precisely as possible.
In preparation for your treatment, Dr. Ip will analyze images and impressions of your teeth to determine the exact tooth movements required for a straighter smile. Your set of clear plastic aligners are then fabricated from these measurements. Patients switch to the next tray in the series about every two weeks in order to gently and gradually shift their teeth into the desired position. However, for this system to work, the patient needs to wear the aligners at least 22 hours a day, every day. Failing to comply can result in either a longer treatment or unsatisfying results.
Most adults and teens with healthy teeth and gums and mild to moderate alignment issues can qualify for Invisalign. This tooth straightening system can correct most of the same misalignment issues as braces, including:
- Turned teeth
- Open bite
Patients with more complex misalignments, however, usually require traditional orthodontic options. Especially severe problems may also require appliances such as spacers, expanders, or headgear.
Invisalign Works to Help You
The Invisalign system not only works extremely well, but also has a range of unique advantages, such as:
- Comfort: Thanks to the trays' smooth texture, there is little risk of irritation in the mouth. In contrast, traditional orthodontic treatment often results in sores from the friction of metal brackets and wires on the soft tissues inside the mouth.
- Efficiency: Invisalign patients require fewer dentist appointments than patients with traditional braces.
- Discretion: Because the retainers are completely clear, they remain virtually invisible.
- No Food Restrictions: Invisalign aligners are taken out while eating, so patients can eat all the foods they love.
- Seeing Your Progress: It is often much easier to see the changes in your smile with clear aligners than metal braces.
- Convenient Hygiene Routines: With Invisalign, patients care for their teeth just as they normally would, since the retainers are removable. This is in contrast to brackets and wires, which can be challenging to clean.
In many cases, patients can also enjoy a much shorter treatment timeline of only 12 to 18 months.
Find Out More About How Invisalign Works
Give our office a call at (512) 444-4746 to find out how Invisalign can straighten your smile and set up a consultation. You can also send us a message and will get back to you shortly.